CDAWeb Error Messages
This document describes errors that may be encountered while using the CDAWeb system.
You might want to also consult some important notes
about individual data sets where some restrictions and known problems exist.
- CDAWeb database index has not been included with your request.
- If form has been submitted in normally (i.e., submit button pressed via CDAWeb form)
then error might be a problem in your web browser or with CDAWeb itself.
Try same request from another browser and if it still persists then tell us about it.
- Either start or stop times are not specified or invalid. A start and stop time must be specified to access data.
- You must specify times in Universal Time (UT) format of the form
YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS (e.g., 1995/03/21 06:30:00).
- If you omit the second field then it will be taken as zero.
- Start and stop times must be different and the start time must be less than the stop time.
Enter the correct date and try again.
Please note the available times listed for each dataset.
- The start or stop dates are out of range. Please ensure that the dates fall
within the valid range for selected datasets.
- Also possible is that the data files are temporarily unavailable
which may occur if a disk platter of the optical jukebox where the data files
reside is offline or not responding.
Try a different time period and/or dataset.
- Each source is matched against each instrument specified.
For example, if the sources selected were Geotail and Wind, and the
instrument selected was Ground-Based Imagers then the query
will match Geotail or Wind data sets that have a Ground-based imager
instrument which will not match anything since Geotail and Wind are not ground-based missions.
- If, however, you only selected one item and "no match found" is displayed
then there is a problem and you should tell us about it.
Go back to the selection page, unselect either a source or instrument type, and press the "submit" button again.
- Server cannot process "form" input. The POST format is not recognized as valid or some require fields are missing. There might be an incompatibility between the httpd server and the user client. Please notify the developers with the following information:
- User name and Internet e-mail address.
- Name and version number of WWW browser used to access CDAWeb.
- The type of computer and operating system used.
- The exact steps taken for the error to occur.
Try to use the system from a different web browser.
- In essence this means that the output file (listing or plot) was not
created. This may occur when there are invalid metadata in the dataset that
the IDL plotting or listing software cannot handle.
- Other causes include memory limitations if data covering a long time period
- These errors are automatically reported to the developers.
(1) Check the Notices/Warnings
document, which lists known problems
with particular datasets.
(2) Select another time period (possibly a smaller one), variable, and/or dataset and try again.
- This occurs if the input to CDAWeb does not include the authorization key
required for proprietary data, which may be due to one of following:
- You may be calling the CGI script directly from the browser by manually entering the URL (you must use the appropriate CDAWeb data entry forms).
- An error in the browser sending the input may cause it to omit the key or send erroneous information. Check whether you are using an older web browser.
- If you are trying to access a proprietary CDAWeb database and you do not have the appropriate authorization then you must read the "Rules of the Road"
and the procedures to participate in the corresponding campaign, which
are available from the appropriate campaign home page.
Try same request from another browser if you are authorized
to access the data and if it still persists then tell us about it.
- An unspecified query was submitted from the "Home page" (i.e. mission group
source and instrument selection form). A query must include a source name and/or instrument to match against the available datasets. To view ALL datasets select either all source names or all instruments.
Select any source and/or instrument from the list.
- System errors are usually caused by situations beyond the immediate control of the user or developers. These errors are trapped and automatically mailed to the CDAWeb developer, so the user need not notify the developers. Usually, trying again a little later should resolve the problem. If the problem persists after a few days, the developers should be notified of the problem. System problems may occur due to the following common causes.
- Server shut down due to regular maintenance, system upgrade,
or power failure.
- Incompatibility between httpd server and user WWW client.
- Developers are re-configuring or updating CDAWeb.
- Access permission denied.
- Insufficient disk space.
- Disk operation error.
- Required file renamed, moved, or deleted.
- Hardware error.
- IDL license daemon not running.
(1) Try a different time period and/or dataset.
(2) If problem continues then try to use the system again at a later time.